Jeff Clavier is the French-born founder and managing partner of SoftTech VC, one of the most established seed venture capital firms in Silicon Valley, with 170+ investments since launching in 2004 as an early pioneer of Consumer Internet and raising one of the first micro-VC funds in 2007. Jeff and his team have backed successful startups including Fitbit, Mint, Bleacher Report & Eventbrite, and are currently investing out of an $85M Fund IV in mobile/cloud software, consumer services, connected hardware, marketplaces and healthcare IT startups.
In part 1 of Jeff's podcast (part 2 here), we discuss his:
- 'Starting from the bottom' in the silicon valley venture capital game
- Decision to take his family's nest egg and invest it in early stage start ups
- Blueprint for personal branding & connecting with silicon valley influencers
- Building seed stage deal flow from scratch to become a 'go-to Super Angel'
- Transitioning from angel investing to raising an institutional fund
- Big investment hits like Fitbit, Eventbrite & Mint
- Big investment misses like Uber, AirBnB & Pinterest